Effective Date: May 2020
Information We Collect – We collect various information about you when you use our services, including:
- information you provide to us;
- information about how you use our websites, mobile applications, and other online services;
- information about the computers and devices you use to access our services;
- information about your online activities and your interests;
- information about how you respond to our communications;
- information about the location of your mobile device based on the location of nearby WiFi networks or, subject to your consent, information accessed via the location functionality of your device; and
- information about you from publicly or commercially available sources.
How We Use Information – We use information:
- to provide you with products and services, respond to your requests, manage contests, and to personalize the content on our services;
- for research purposes;
- to communicate with you about your account; learn about you; send you or provide you with ads, offers, or other content based on your interests;
- to resolve disputes; and
- to improve, maintain, and troubleshoot our services.
Sharing Information – We share information:
- with third parties, including service providers that process information on our behalf, to facilitate transactions and provide you with services;
- with our affiliates;
- in association with a transfer of a business or related assets; when there is a legal obligation to disclose your information; or to protect our legal rights, the public, or others.
We use reasonable security measures to protect your information.
Our services are not intended for children under 18 years of age.
We are not responsible for any third-party products or services you access via our services.
- What Information Do We Collect?
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- How We Share the Information We Collect
- Third-Party Links and Content
- Children’s Privacy
- Notice to California Residents – Your California Privacy Rights
- International Transfers of Information
- Contact Information
Information that you provide to us: We and our service providers collect information that you provide when you use our services. also provide us with information when you ; contact us with a question, comment, or request. The information that you may provide us includes but is not limited to:
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Telephone number
When you use social media platforms, applications or tools that enable features like audio or video content (sometimes known as “plugins”), or other features that are operated or offered by other companies (sometimes known as “third parties”) and are integrated into our services or allow you to connect to our services, we may collect information from those third parties. This may include payment services, login services or review platforms. Please refer to the privacy settings of the social media platforms or third-party features you use to manage how information is shared.
If you wish to forward an article or other information to a friend using our services, we will ask you to provide your friend’s name and email address. We may collect statistics on which articles are forwarded.
We do not sell, rent, or market information about the friends to whom you forward articles or information, and we use your friends’ names and email addresses only for purposes of forwarding articles or other information subject to your request.
Passive data collection: Like most companies that offer services online, we and our service providers may automatically collect certain technical information from your computer, tablet or mobile device when you use our services or interact with us. The information we may collect includes:
- IP address
- Operating system
- Device type
- Device manufacturer
- Device identifier
- Browser type
- Content viewed on our services
- Pages viewed immediately before and after you access our websites
- Which ads or content from us or our affiliated companies you view, access, or click on
- Your activities over time and across websites and apps within the McClatchy network and within the network of websites and apps serviced by the ad networks, advertisers, service providers, and other companies with which we do business, following your use of one of our websites or apps
- Whether you open our electronic communications and where you click within them
- Features of our services that you use
- Name and location of your Internet Service Provider
- Amount of time spent on our pages and how many pages you viewed during your visit
For more information about how we collect this information, see Use of Web Beacons, Cookies and Other Technologies.
Location Information – Our mobile applications may collect precise information about the location of your mobile device via your device’s GPS or cellular connectivity, but only with your express consent. Once you have consented to the collection of such precise location information via your mobile device, you may adjust this consent by managing your Location Services preferences through the settings of your mobile device. We may also be able to infer your location from other information that you provide or information that we collect passively, such as the known locations of nearby WiFi networks.
We may use the information we collect for a number of purposes, including, but not limited to:
- providing you with and communicating with you about the products, services, or information you request or purchase;
- providing you with information and important updates about your account or subscription, our products and services;
- using your location information to deliver location-based services that you request or location-based offers that may be of interest to you;
- personalizing your experience when using our services and providing content based on your interests or other demographics;
- allowing you to share content and information from our publication via social media, email, and other means;
- improving or troubleshooting our services;
- generating and analyzing statistics about how you use our services and respond to our communications;
- creating compiled, aggregate, and anonymous information about the users’ of our services and how our users interact with our services (“Aggregated Information”);
- safeguarding your information;
- detecting, preventing, and responding to potential fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of our Terms of Service, violations of law, or other misuse of our services.
We may combine or aggregate any of the information we collect from our services and elsewhere for any of these purposes.
We may disclose information about you:
- as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process;
- as necessary to process transactions and provide you with the services, products, or information you request or purchase;
- when we have a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to protect the rights or property of our affiliates or us, or to protect the safety of you or others;
- to detect, prevent, or respond to potential fraud, intellectual property infringement, violations of our Terms of Service, violations of law, or other misuse of our services
- to proceed with the negotiation or completion of a merger, acquisition, sale, or other transfer of all or part of our assets; or
- subject to your consent.
Unless you have consented otherwise, we do not sell, rent, barter, or otherwise give away user lists, users’ names, email addresses, or mailing addresses so that advertisers or other third parties may send you advertisements or other solicitations.
You should know that when you voluntarily disclose personal information publicly on our services (for example, when commenting on articles), that information may be collected and used by others and you may receive unsolicited communications from other people. When you share information via features offered on our services by other companies (sometimes known as “third-party plugins”), the privacy settings of the other companies for those features govern how the information will be shared. When you are logged into our services, depending on the service you are logged into, your name may be displayed, and your email address and contact information may be viewed. Be sure to logout of your account and take other steps to ensure that others cannot view that information without your knowledge.
Our services and communications may contain links to or content from websites or other online services provided by third parties. We expect our partners and third-party providers to respect your privacy, but you acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible for the collection and use of your information by websites and other services that are not under our control. The privacy practices of third parties are governed by their privacy policies, and we encourage you to review the privacy policies of all websites and online services that you use, view, or visit.
Google Analytics collects information anonymously. Google will not associate your IP address with any other data held by Google. Neither Imerys nor Google will link, or seek to link, an IP address with the identity of a computer user. We will not associate any data gathered from this site with any Personally Identifiable Information from any source, unless you explicitly submit that information via a fill-in form on our website. Google Analytics reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting how you visit our site – for more information on opting out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites you use, visit this Google page.
We care about children’s privacy. Our services are not directed to, nor do we knowingly collect information from, children under the age of 18. We will not knowingly allow children under 18 to register for or become members of our services. If we discover that we have received any information from a child under 18, we will take reasonable steps to promptly remove that information. If you believe we have collected information from anyone under 18 without parental consent, please contact us via any of the channels listed below.
While we strive to maintain reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect your information, no information system can be 100% secure. We cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. Moreover, we cannot be responsible for information that you transmit over networks that we do not control or information that you choose to publicly disclose. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information.
We make reasonable efforts to secure the account information pages and other registration locations for our services, such that they can be accessed only by our authorized personnel or by logging in with your member name and password.
We endeavor to protect the security of your payment information during transmission by using technology that encrypts information you submit.
If you are a California resident, you have the right to receive: a) information identifying all third-party companies to which we may have disclosed, within the past year, personal information pertaining to you and your family for those companies’ direct marketing purposes; and b) a description of the categories of personal information disclosed. To obtain such information, please contact us.
As a California resident, in addition to your rights under the California “Shine the Light” law, the California Consumer Protection Act of 2018 (CCPA) may provide additional rights. Continue reading to learn more.
If you have any questions or comments about our privacy practices, we may be reached at
1401 Shop Road, Columbia, SC, 29201-4843
or at https://www.mcclatchytransformation.com/contact.
Definition of Certain Terms
IP Address- the identifier assigned to facilitate communications over the Internet. Depending on how you connect to the Internet, your IP address may always be the same, or it may change each time you access the Internet. An IP address does not in and of itself disclose your name, email address, or home or work address.
Service Providers- unaffiliated companies that perform services on our behalf, such as printing, mailing, processing payments, managing the delivery of advertisements, collections, data processing, or communications. We strive to limit the amount of users’ personally identifiable information shared with service providers. We ask these service providers to keep confidential the information that we provide to them, and we require them to not share, sell, or rent any information collected from our users that directly identifies our users.